Tuesday, April 21, 2015

port ev logger problems

[This is the text of an email that I wrote Tuesday morning, April 21, 2015.  This blog post will be backdated to the date and time of that email.]

As it happens I received notice from NDBC this morning that they have not received any new Port Everglades data from us in over 24 hours, and there are backlogs of cronjob errors and a download alert in my mailbox today as well.

As near as I can tell, it looks like a problem with the datalogger's internal clock.  I am seeing timestamps in the year 2066 and a few times when I've connected the internal clock has been reset to 1930.  I have reset the logger clock a few times to the correct time (UTC).  The first few times it got corrupted again almost right away.  At present it has held on to the correct time for about ten minutes but I don't trust it.

[These bad timestamps are causing the logger to skip its datatables.  Essentially I think its measurement actions are working just fine but it balks when asked to record those measurements with out-of-bounds timestamps.]

Anyhow I have disabled all of our PVGF1 feeds for the present.  In the short term it may be possible to reenable them by day's end if the clock seems to be holding steady.  In the long term we will probably want to replace that logger.

I know Jack and Mana might be visiting that site soon so depending on their timing I might suggest that I tag along, if that's alright with everyone.

(signed)
Mike Jankulak